Side Event at World Water Week in Stockholm
Sanitation and Water for All : Contributing to the Follow-up and Review of SDG 6
Sanitation and Water for All (SWA) hosted a multi-stakeholder dialogue on the follow-up and review process for Goal 6 on Sunday 28 August 2016 at Stockholm World Water Week.
The event provided an opportunity for discussion about the ways that SWA, as a partnership and through its partners, can contribute to the follow-up and review of the sanitation, water and hygiene-related targets of Goal 6 of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), and related targets of other SDGs.
This event was also an opportunity to discuss follow-up and review of progress on issues such as the elimination of inequalities in access to water and sanitation. SWA partners presented their understanding of the Collaborative Behaviours being promoted by SWA to increase development effectiveness in the water, sanitation and hygiene sector, how these will be monitored, and how they relate to the follow-up and review process.
SWA partners, together with other water sector bodies and networks, also presented possible collaborative frameworks for the follow-up and review of the entirety of Goal 6.
Speakers were drawn from SWA’s Partners, including Ministers from country Partners, and senior representatives of donor agencies, civil society, and research and learning institutions.
Speakers and panelists:
- Minister Dr. Sudarshini Fernandopulle, State Minister of City Planning and Water Supply, Government of Sri Lanka
- Eng. Gerson Hosea Lwenge, Minister of Water and Irrigation of the United Republic of Tanzania
- Minister Roland Ravatomanga, Minister of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene, Government of Madasgascar
- Ms. Jyoti Shukla, Senior Manager, Water and Sanitation Program (WSP), World Bank Global Water Practice
- Mr. Bruce Gordon, Coordinator of Water, Sanitation, Hygiene and Health, World Health Organization
- Representative of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- Representative of the Scaling Up Movement (SUN)
- Ms. Amanda Marlin, Coordinator, SWA Secretariat
More photos are available on our FLICKR page
Other events where CSO partners are involved
Upscaling the WASH-Nutrition Nexus for Sustainable (Body) Growth
Tuesday 30 August
FH Congress Hall A
This seminar builds on the results of the Bonn WASH-Nutrition Forum 2015 (WNF) – bringing a range of key nutrition actors to Stockholm for the first time. Their input presentations allow WASH experts in Stockholm to design policy-relevant and practitioner-specific WASH solutions, fit-for-purpose to contribute to nutrition outcomes. The WNF set an ambitious target of doubling the number of countries integrating WASH in their nutrition plans. The seminar will identify incentives for making this feasible and advocates for an umbrella framework of sector integration within the SDGs, utilising the global platforms SWA Partnership and SUN Movement.
Launch of Watershed – Empowering Citizens
Wednesday 31 August
Folkets Hus - Stand 11
Watershed is a unique strategic partnership, as it focuses on building the capacity of civil society to advocate for improvements in the governance and management of water, sanitation and hygiene services as well as of the water resources on which they draw.