Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation

Website

WASH AID POLICY

The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation addresses problems that have a major impact on people in the developing world but get too little attention and funding. The vision of the foundation’s Water, Sanitation & Hygiene program is to promote the development of safe, effective, and affordable sanitation services that people will want to use.

WASH AID PRIORITIZATION CRITERIA

The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation has prioritized sanitation within the WASH suite of issues. 2.5 billion people around the world lack access to sanitation, and the MDG target, to halve the proportion of people without access to a toilet, continues to be severely off-track. The foundation’s investments in sanitation are focused on reaching the poorest and most vulnerable populations that lack access to sanitation.

Screen Shot 2013-10-30 at 5.13.20 PM Screen Shot 2013-10-30 at 5.13.24 PM

Screen Shot 2013-10-30 at 5.15.10 PM Screen Shot 2013-10-30 at 5.15.05 PM

Accountability

Specific Target
The Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WSH) program is committed to providing at least 90% of its funding to sanitation. The remaining 10% will be split between drinking-water and hygiene for the same period.

Reporting
Details on the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation’s Water, Sanitation & Hygiene strategy, awarded grants,and activities can be found at www.gatesfoundation.org.

PREDICTABILITY

In 2008, 67% of commitments for sanitation were allocated to programmes of 5 years or more, 32% was allocated to 3 to under 5 year programmes, and 1% was allocated to programmes of less than 3 years. For drinking-water, 100% of commitments was allocated to 3 to 5 year programmes.

In 2010, 86% of commitments for sanitation were allocated to 3 to under 5 year programmes and 14% was allocated to programmes of less than 3 years. For drinking-water, 50% of commitments were allocated to 3 to under 5 year programmes and 50% was allocated to programmes of less than 3 years.

Between 2010 and 2015, the foundation expects to invest over $400 million on water, sanitation and hygiene, with about 90% of this amount committed to sanitation. Through these investments, we aim to contribute to 30 million people using safe and sustainable sanitation services.

SANITATION VS. DRINKING WATER (2010)

Sanitation: 92%
Drinking-water: 8%

ALIGNMENT AND HARMONISATION

Tied vs. Untied Aid
100% untied aid

Aid Coordinated with Country Programmes
N/A

Use of Country Procurement Systems
N/A

Use of Project Implementation
N/A 

CONTACT DETAILS

Sara Rogge
Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
1432 Elliot Avenue West
Seattle, WA 98109
USA
Email: sara.rogge@gatesfoundation.org
Tel. : (1) 206 709-3100